Experience Hopi Today!
Visit the homeland of one of the oldest yet indigenous cultures in North America!
The Hopi people have lived in the American Southwest for countless centuries. Original inhabitants of land areas including present day Arizona, Colorado, & Utah. The Hopi are comprised of many different clans that moved across the north and South American continent before being drawn to Tuwanasavi, the Center of the Universe, the current land base of the Hopi in Arizona. Many of the historic ruins you may have visited in the past are part of this history. Mesa Verde, Canyon De Chelly, Betatkin (It’s ancient puebloan name being Kawestima), Wupatki, and many others are the ancient homes of the Hopi and other pueblo peoples in New Mexico.
Already having long established villages by the time the Spanish arrived in 1540 A.D. the Hopi still refer to the different mesa regions according to the Spanish description, 1st Mesa, 2nd Mesa, and 3rd Mesa. Their Spanish influence can still be seen today through words Hopi use to describe the things they introduced. Hopi people call apples Mansaana (Manzana), and horse Kawayo (Caballo), for example.
Many hidden gems await you! Coalmine Canyon, Dawa Park, artist visits and more!
Book your tour today!
We invite you to Experience Art, Experience Culture, Experience Hopi
There is a minimum of 2 people required to schedule a tour. Standard itinerary reservations must be made by 5pm MST (Arizona Time) 24 hours in advance. To change or cancel your reservation, please call the front desk 48 hours before your tour departure.
Customized Tours are available.
- 8:30 a.m. – Meet with your Guide in hotel lobby and enjoy a short discussion on the history of the vision of the elders of the Upper Village of Moenkopi and Experiencing Hopi. We will board the Experience Hopi tour van and depart for Coalmine Canyon, one of the hidden gems of Hopi, and enjoy a brief insight into Hopi pottery - take a selfie! Enjoy the Moenkopi Fields overlook while en route and enjoy some discussion on Hopi agriculture.
- Next we will tour the village of Old Oraibi, the oldest, continuously inhabited settlement in north America. Enjoy a visit to Hopi Arts Trail member Hamana So’oh’s Gallery located in the heart of the village and take a short tour led by your guide followed by a visit to the home workshop of Hopi Arts Trail member and silversmith Duane Tawahongva.
- Lunch at the Hopi Cultural Center
- After lunch we will visit Prophecy Rock, an amazing single Petroglyph with an enchanting story that connects you with the one of the core principles of Hopi life.
- Following your visit to Prophecy Rock your guide will take you to Dawa Park, a natural box canyon with ancient walls covered with thousands of petroglyphs from different eras. Dawa Park is a window back in time, transporting you to the days of the ancients.
- 4pm – Arrive back at the Moenkopi Legacy Inn & Suites
$145 per person | Seniors 65+ $129 | Kids 12 and under $89 with paid adult
Lunch and bottled water included
In addition to the knowledge they have been raised with as Hopi people, all Experience Hopi Tour guides undergo cultural awareness training of Hopi history and cultural sites with noted Hopi Anthropologist Micah Loma’omvaya and are authorized by the Hopi Tribe.
© Experiencehopi.com 2016. All rights reserved • P.O. Box 2260 Tuba City, AZ 86045 • Phone: (928) 283.4500 Fax: (928) 283.4499